The Poster Gallery, known also as "Polplakat" was opened by Wlodek Orzel in 1993. It settled down in a desolate underground passage "Plac na Rozdrożu" and filled the place with vivid posters. That is how the one and only street gallery of Polish posters came into existence. There, the poster art was exposed to the passers-by, as it used to be during the golden years of Polish poster. In March 2009 the Gallery was cofounded Polish Poster Gallery, BUW at The University of Warsaw Library
The gallery is founded on the collection started in 1981. It includes posters dating back to 1945. The total number of posters, which constitute the collection is about 7000 different titles organised according to their authors and described in the catalogue.
The most frequently represented artist are Waldemar ¦wierzy (about 600 posters), Andrzej P±gowski (about 400), Jan Młodożeniec (250), Jerzy Czerniawski (200), Roman Kalarus (150), Wiktor Sadowski (150), Henryk Tomaszewski (150) and Wiesław Wałkuski.
Basing on the collection, it is possible to organise thematic exhibitions and the exhibitions devoted to one author. "Polplakat" cooperates with other art galleries and cultural institutions in Poland and abroad.